Important Facts about the Foreclosure Process in New York
Pre-Foreclosure and the Acceleration Letter
What to Do If Your House Is In Foreclosure
The Summons and Court Complaint
Produce the Note and Current State Foreclosure Laws
- To be valid, court documents must be delivered in the proper manner. If your lender didn’t follow the rules, that could be your defense.
- Illegal or discriminatory practices during the sales and closing process could hurt the lender’s case.
- Make sure that the information in the court documents is correct. If you have paid all or part of the arrears, your attorney may base your defense around this fact.
- Did you have a chance to pay the past-due balance? Banks must give homeowners enough time to correct debts before initiating the foreclosure action.
- Active service members qualify for stays that prevent the foreclosure process from advancing.
- If the owner was mentally incompetent when the mortgage was signed, the document might be invalid.